Thursday, June 25, 2020

Unidentified man

Below is one of the family portraits that recently came to me. (Thank you, Cousin M).



It came via FL from the house in Litchfield, IL, where my family lived for many, many years. I have never seen it before and there are no identifying marks to indicate the name of the subject. Indeed, there is nothing on the frame or the backing to point towards one person or another.

Here's what can be said about the portrait's physical characteristics:

The frame is oval. The glass was broken when my cousin found it; the glass itself was convex. Cleaning the glass away ripped the portrait (or didn't, but I have "restored" it digitally below). The original photo has been altered with overmarkings. The convex glass, oval frame and over markings are typical of charcoal portraits popular from 1880 to 1920. There are no props in the photo. This is a vignette-style portrait. It might be a close-up of an earlier portrait.

I have often found that reducing a photo to black and white can reveal additional details, so here is the B&W version:


The subject is a middle-aged man. It is not clear if he is seated or standing. The over markings are done in gray, which might indicate an older man, perhaps 30 to 50. He looks slightly away from the camera. He is wearing a dark jacket with handkerchief or such; the "such" is drawn in. He is wearing a white shirt; the narrow collar has one button. He is wearing a vest or sweater inside the jacket. No hat.

He has prominent cheekbones, a full head of dark hair parted on his left. His ears are slightly away from his head. His eyes have circles underneath, but they are not prominent or swollen. His jacket hits him higher on the neck than is seen in modern portraits. This might indicate strong shoulders and a forward head position. Indeed, he seems to have a wide, shaggy neck, and the width of the jacket from the shoulders out might indicate strong/overweight arms or just extra material in the jacket.

His high, strong forehead reminds me of my dad and my uncle, who had the same feature. Greeeeat... I already know that this is one of my dad's/uncle's forebears...but which one??

Could be a Purdy...could not...I think it is. Stay tuned.




1 comment:

  1. Update in 2021: This is definitely William Collins Purdy II. Born 1827, died 1912. Age in the photo?? Unknown. But notice the difference between the right eye and the left eye, which is visible in the photo I just published.

    ReplyDelete